Friday, October 26, 2012

New Album Production Journal: Day 180

Just finished starting two new beats, neither of which really got anywhere.  Let's reveiw them shall we?

BEAT01 - The idea behind this track was contrast.  The verse or chorus would be sort of bare with this one repeated riff and then the verse would contain the same riff only with more melodic movement and with more shit piled on.  The goal was that the difference between the two would be so jarring that it would sort of kick you in the face.  I got close but I don't think it's really going anywhere.  I still like the idea though.  I'll probably come back to it.

BEAT02 - This one started with an instrument and a melody in mind and in the middle I thought it would make a great vignette peice, where it would fade in on the album and would be really short and only have one person on it, very breifly, probably only a minute and a half and then it would have sort of a long fade out into the next track.  I think the album needs more of these but the problem is being able to sell the group ideas like this that are high in concept.  I really think with this album being as heavy as it is, a few moments of brevity like this will be perfect for keeping the album dynamic and fluid sounding.  As it is, if we were to assemble the album with what we have, it would only have one sort of continous drive.  There may be different feelings and tones but it would probably sound like a bunch of singles strung together.  I love albums like that:  Sainthood by Tegan and Sara is like that and I fucking love that album.  But I don't think that;s the kind of album I want this one to be.  And that's sort of hard to explain to those who maybe don't have that sort of context or relationship with albums.  I don't know.  I'll probably come back to this one too.

____________________________________________________


In other news let me just say that Miller High Life is one of my favorite beers of all time, but it is fucking terrible to drink out of a glass.  I've really gotten attached to drinking beer out of a glass like some rich bitch from Downton Abbey, and High Life comes out all foam, and leaves all foam.  It's horrible.  Maybe it's the exposure to open air that destroys the barely functioning chemical structure holding it together and it just decides to collapse into bubbles like a fucking bubble bath.  DO NOT TRY DRINKING THIS OUT OF A GLASS.  Leave it in the dirty, piss colored can it belongs in.

Also of note, the new Baroness album Yellow & Green is kicking the ever loving shit out of me recently.  I know I just got done jerking off Pallbearer yesterday but this Baroness album is a different kind of awesome.  It's less morose, less heavey but still potent and dynamic as shit.  It's like a really really heavy Foo Fighters albums with out the busy drums.  I can't reccomend a metal album for non-metal people more than this album.

Finally, I have to be honest about last night (Day 179):  I didn't work on anything.  Instead, I went to see Killer Mike and GZA do Liquid Swords live.  It was a last minute decision and it was worth it.  Killer Mike was kind of better than his album, altough that album is really fucking good.  He was one of the most jovial, positive performersI've ever seen, which kind of surprised me.  Most performers I see take on this non-chalant posture and maybe they seem happy or energetic but you never know for sure really.  Killer Mike was incredibly genuine and there was no pretense about his performance whatsoever.  That was probably the best thing about the entire show, seeing something that refreshingly honest.  Keep in mind I saw The Polyphonic Spree the first time they came to Chapel Hill and if you know anything about them, you know they're mental-patient-type happy.  Killer Mike topped all that.

GZA was great but he didn't do Liquid Swords front to back, which I totally understand but it wasn't what I was expecting.  I don't understand why or how artists do the album tour.  It seems like such an insult to everything else you've done.  "What?  My second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth albums aren't good enough?  You only want to hear the first one?"  That seems like it would be frustrating to have to live with, although I'm sure the exploitation of that is extremely lucrative.

I've gone on too long.  I'm going to try to get some more work done this weekend but it doesn't look like I'll have the time.  We'll see.

No comments: